Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Remo's Story

Helen Cirrone did not take no laying down. When she found a very neglected, heart worm positive dog, she asked Barrio Dogs if we could help. Sadly, we have had to say no to many and could not help poor Remo. However, Helen was able to raise enough funds for his heart worm treatment, network his story to many and ended up with a home for Remo. Helen Cirrone is a hero. We can’t say it enough - you would be surprised what you can do yourself for an animal. Be you own hero. Way to go Helen! 

Remo’s Story by Helen Cirrone

On April 13, 2011, my husband Peter and I went for our evening walk with our dogs around 7:00 p.m. While coming down Seamist toward W.12th Street, I noticed a dog curled up who lifted his head and looked at me. I kept walking because I had my American Bulldog and wasn’t sure how he would react towards a stray dog.


When we got home, I immediately got a bag of dog food, a jug of water and a bowl. Peter decided to drive only because he knew if I took my car, there was a good chance of this stray dog coming back home with us. When I placed the food and water down I walked across the street to give this dog, which I named Remo, some space to eat calmly. We could see his ribs and noticed several scars on his face and body.  
After he ate and drank an entire bowl of water, I decided to approach Remo who was quite shy; he had his tail tucked in but didn’t run away from me. I patted him on his head and he licked my hand so I knew he wasn’t afraid of me. I noticed he was neutered so I thought maybe he was lost and had a microchip and I could soon reunite him with his family. But the problem was Peter had already informed me that “we could not bring this dog home”.

Well, here comes a car driving by with a lady who asked if the dog was okay. When I told her that I was just feeding him, he was a stray, she said this area has become a drop off for dogs. She said it’s so sad and then drove off. 


After Remo finished his meal, I was sitting next to him and giving him some loving and he was giving it right back to me. Here comes that lady again only with her partner and a cute little boy. They came out and looked at Remo and thought he was a cutie too. They asked what we are going to do with this dog? I said I cannot take him home; I have two dogs and a not-so-big backyard. I did mention that I’ve done volunteer work for Barrio Dogs of Houston and could contact them to see if they could take him in.


Well these ladies, Adrienne and Tracy and little Owen said “We have a backyard. We’ll take him in until you find out”. I then reached out to Gloria Medina Zenteno, the founder of Barrio Dogs, and told her what was going on. She unfortunately told me that the shelter that houses the rescues was out-of-space but if I could find a foster home, she would pay for the first vet office. 
 
On April 15, 2011, I took Remo to the vet and after his exam and tests (he had no microchip) I was told he tested positive for heart worms. The vet tech told me the cost of the treatment would be $600.00! I reached out to friends, family and my husband too and I had the $600.00 within two days.

Remo had his first heart worm treatment on April 25th and his final treatment on May 27, 2011. During this time, Remo became a foster at the home of Adrienne, Tracy and Owen and their three little dogs. The family loves Remo and he loves them right back. Even their three little dogs didn’t seem to mind sharing the yard and home with Remo.

 

We created adoption flyers for Remo and posted them at the local Petsmart, Petco and even on Craigslist. Adrienne had a couple of calls but when she mentioned that Remo was heart worm positive and is in treatment, they weren't interested in him.

Well, on Monday May 9, 2011, I received an email from Adrienne saying that there was no way they could let Remo leave their home! The family decided to adopt him. Little Owen who has three little female dogs was so excited to have a large male dog.
 

I visited Remo at his “forever” home on Monday May 16th and he is looking so good. He is quite an independent dog who likes to play with his rope and enjoys his rawhide chews. Remo follows Adrienne around the house and Owen showed me how Remo can sit. 

I want to thank everyone who donated funds toward Remo’s heart worm treatment, thank Dr. Palmer and her staff at Gulfgate Animal Hospital and Gloria with Barrio Dogs who has a great non-profit organization. Thanks to Adrienne, Tracy and Owen who opened their hearts and home to Remo. Without them, Remo would still be roaming the streets.

No comments:

Post a Comment